Welcome to Our Community

VPN / PROXY is NOT allowed! Hello and welcome to UDevStudio.com your #1 source for developer tools and gaming assets. Please take the opportunity to read the Rules and FAQ forum to learn more about this site.

Security Update

• NO VPN ACCESS, YOU WILL BE BANNED!
    Security for ALL users has been increased. You will be required to turn off all VPN/PROXY software before visiting this site. Any use of VPN proxy will lead directly to a BAN from the forums.

Registration is open, for closed gates access info, please visit: REGISTRATION INFO
  • Exciting News! 🎉 Starting today, we're thrilled to announce the launch of our newest section: the 'Shards Market.' 🚀 Here, you'll find a marketplace where you can anonymously sell or purchase assets using SHARDS. What makes it truly special? It empowers everyone to trade for real money and get back a portion of that hard-earned cash you spent on buying assets! 💰 Discover more about this groundbreaking feature by visiting our Shards Market Rules page. Don't miss out—dive in now! 🌟

Unity or Unreal, and why!

Wnb

Apprentice
LV

Aug 27, 2021
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
Also do not forget about the thousands of assets in the unreal marketplace :D

Reactions: Pr0fesseur

shushanto

Trusted
Apprentice
LV

Sep 8, 2021
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
Unreal Engine.
Because of its features, assets in marketplace, community, and high quality tutorials that are available online.

notaclown

Trusted
Apprentice
BANNED
LV

Apr 20, 2021
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
No this is actually fact.

"Unreal can be the best" is not mutually exclusive to "good games are produced in Unity"
If it's a fact then prove it, actually provide evidence that Unreal is the best overall. Don't just provide Unreal data, but provide Unity and other engine data. Don't make your evidence biased so that the results are tainted. Excellent products can be the by-product of any engine, but claiming one is the best out of them all is simply untrue. Sure Unreal does have Unity beat in some areas, but Unity also beats Unreal in other areas among some other engines. This discussion is always going to be "Unreal is the best" as we're on a forum mainly focused around Unreal.

It's a me Mario

Trusted
Apprentice
LV

Sep 18, 2021
Awards
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
lets put all the massive market place library and the built in megascan plugin aside and talk more technical stuff.
why is UE a superior Game Engine?
two words, Nanite and Lumen.
let me explain a bit, to render something like Valley Of The Ancient sample project

which is released for UE5 for a movie using the stander tools would take between 5 to 20 hours PER FRAM and it's actually ruining 60 frames PER SECOND in UE5 REAL TIME NOTHING BAKED!!!
so yeah having to build your game on the fly without optimizing and having to worry about UV maps and without having to wait forever to baking and building the light is something impressive to say the least.
you can import models with millions of polygons and the lighting is 100% realtime, no baking, which means dynamic objects can fly around the scene and the lighting will just automatically update on the fly in realtime as the game is running which is UNHEARD OF.
so yeah it's no longer which is better Unity or UE, it's more of is there any other game engine that is better than UE, cause heck as far as i know no other Game Engine have ever pulled off this Houdini-like move before.

Reactions: Pr0fesseur, chinpasel and shushanto
Oct 31, 2021
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
If you want to make a mobile game or 2d game then Unity is enough, Unreal is better in both workflow and technical aspect. I like C++ better than c#. And I hate how Unity license works. The only down side for Unreal is how much it crashes.

Reactions: Pr0fesseur and chinpasel

heaps

Apprentice
LV

Aug 14, 2021
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
If it's a fact then prove it, actually provide evidence that Unreal is the best overall. Don't just provide Unreal data, but provide Unity and other engine data. Don't make your evidence biased so that the results are tainted. Excellent products can be the by-product of any engine, but claiming one is the best out of them all is simply untrue. Sure Unreal does have Unity beat in some areas, but Unity also beats Unreal in other areas among some other engines. This discussion is always going to be "Unreal is the best" as we're on a forum mainly focused around Unreal.
keyword "can"............. please don't put words in my mouth

DarkPhoenixX

Apprentice
LV

Nov 18, 2021
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
I worked with both engines and to give my humble opinion, it hugely depends on the project if Unity or Unreal is better suited.

For saving you time I won't mention obvious advantages, you all probably know them anyway, but to pointing at the elephant in the room,
under the right circumstances weaknesses become strengths and vice versa.

The mobile market ist dominated by unity!
One reason for this is the still wide usage of "stoneage calculator" phones. With version 4.25 unreal stopped the support for my phone (guess I'm old). Further to be successful on the market, the app installer has to be as small as possible (otherwise user won't even bother to download and test your app). An Unity build is far smaller than an Unreal, therefore better.

Comparing both Communities, Unity has a lot of people "knowing how to build paper planes", fundamentally they know how to build an aircraft, yet in Unreal you find the aeronautic pioneers trying to figure out space travel. One year in the unreal community taught me more than 8 years in unity. Explains the difference in quality of the marketplace :D If you recruit, you will find a lot of talented unity developers for a copper, compared to an average unreal developer costing a gold coin.

Blueprints in Unreal are fantastic, but at one point you have to go deep into C++ to solve your problem. Unreal gives you its source code, that's pretty huge (unity requires reflection hacks), but its overwhelming and at times pretty slow. If I make a small mistake, I have to compile 5 minutes to notice my error. In C++ I need 1 week for something I do in C# in 1 day. Time is money and your team will be faster with unity.

Games that require "crazy game play" will also benefit from Unity. An example is Unity's DOTs, perfect for a simulation game. Unreal is not suited for that kind of game. A successful indie game either has "a unique artstyle to die for" or "creative gameplay".

Investors and publishers will take you more serious with Unreal, that's a sad fact, but a good game project will stand out anyway.

I have to pay royalties, isn't engine X better than Y?! Forget this mentality, because if you really reach that phase with your project, it won't determine your financial success ;)

I could babble a lot more, but my point is, there is not clear winner in unity vs unreal.

Personally
, I prefer UNREAL, because as a shader programmer, I really started to hate Unity's render pipeline..... each new unity version fucks up your old code and hope their engine team figures out, which render path they actually like to follow. Unity has a tiresome tendency to try new gimmicks without delivering (a lot of plugins simply disappear), while Unreal so far delivers. A good example is the Control Rig, it's not perfect, but with each version it gets better.

@Kozake77

Nanite and Lumen aren't perfect. Worse, it's a bad rookie mistake to use them to solidify your argumentation ... please don't be angry, I tell you why!

In practice Nanite can only be used in a stone or city environment, because there is no vertex displacement. Therefore no vegetation, no wind, no characters. Even worse, imagine a world, where everything is so perfectly detailed, except your main character, because.... well nanite doesn't support skinned meshes. Nanite might be awesome, but it requires "modern" hardware, so only a small percentage of players has the required hardware.

Lumen has the obvious problem of .... I can achieve the same effect with precalculated lightmaps and my players don't need an RTX Graphic Card or better. The number of applications for realtime lightning is slime, day-and-night cycle, maybe a latern in a dark cave.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for those new technologies! Game Development is like being a wizard, you need to kill a bug, why bother using fireball if firebolt works fine, without risking to set everyone in flames.

Last edited:

Lm5

LV

Dec 2, 2021
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
Started on Unity, but after trying out UE5 I am pretty sold on it. The amount of native tools Unreal has is pretty unbelievable and ease of use of them. On Unity I would never think about making a 3D game, in UE5 it feels very plausible. Unity's strong point is their asset store no doubt, it has far more mature tools and price-wise they are far more acceptable. Although Unreal has some really nice plugin tools too (although lot of them cost an arm and leg, prices I would never pay without extensive testing). But what ultimately puts Unreal over the edge for me is Quixel and Nanite. Nanite just seems to fix to everything that made open world games very difficult to develop and optimize. And Quixel is just unbelievable, not just the assets on the bridge but a ton of free megascans on the marketplace too. It's just so much value and the easy integration with UE makes it a very easy to just literally drag and drop in few seconds.

Although UE still has some big negatives for me too. First it seems instantly assume what you actually want to make, I feel like something like Hearthstone would be far more cumbersome to make in Unreal than Unity. Also Unreal uses C++, I am a programmer so it's not intimidating to me, but I would prefer to work in C++ in a team of 100 people where I can focus on few key components instead of using it as an Indie dev. C++ and C are amazing when you really want to "touch the metal" literally tell the hardware exactly what it should do instead of 100 layers of bs and abstraction that is Javascript and whatnot. What I am trying to say is that it's great for optimization and performance, the code won't do anything else besides what you have written, but for small tasks like 99% what game development constitutes it's very slow and outdated language to write in, things that you can write in a modern language in few minutes can take you half an hour in C++ and you better not make a single mistake. C# although is showing it's age too is quite more comfortable for game development purposes.

I think I'll be using both for the foreseeable future, but the fact that Unreal is giving me an opportunity to create games I never even dreamed of making is making me very excited about it.

Cray

Apprentice
LV

Jan 16, 2022
Awards
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
I use unreal because if im honest. I just like the workflow alot more. The free monthly stuff helps along with access to the quixel megascans. I also just like how good it can look with relatively little work.

gotnostudios

Apprentice
LV

Jan 20, 2022
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
I started with Unity at first but I wanted to learn Unreal but the system requirements were quite high for my PC at that time. Unity was pretty great, the UI was good, the assets were plenty too, I got used to C# scripting and probably made me a better game developer.

Then I got a better PC and tried unreal, the graphics blew me away, the blueprint system was easy, there were plenty of assets too. That UI was tacky at first but I heard UE5 has 'modern' looking layout. Moving forward I'll be focusing on Unreal but it is still better to learn both engines, in my opinion.

Remnant

Apprentice
LV

Feb 1, 2022
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
I started with Unity. I dont remember why anymore. Seemed kind of easier because of C#, but after a while I realised I could not pay for all those assets I need, so I stopped altogether.
Years later I wanted to try Unreal. I already had Epic launcher and some games, so why not try it, it was right there :D Blueprint are really cool and was somehow easier to learn how things work so I stick with it.

knxs

Apprentice
LV

Mar 31, 2022
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
I know this is a old topic but thought I would share my opinion anyways.

I've spent years with both Unity and Unreal and from my point of view comes down to what you're trying to achieve. Unity is way ahead in the 2D game development scene as if you are trying to make a 3d game and want the absolute best graphics out of the box then Unreal is probably right for you.
But ultimately don't bind yourself to using only one engine, use the engine that best suits your needs.

Bepop420

LV

Apr 2, 2022
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
I work in Unity within a professional capacity, I have recently started using Unreal in my free time and while I am very inexperienced in Unreal, I have found it to be more difficult to grasp than Unity. But this might even be a result of me growing accustomed to working in Unity every day.

That being said, they both shine in their own way. Would I say one is better than the other? not necessarily. But one certainly does one aspect better than the other. I found some things to be very intuitive and quick to implement in Unreal while in Unity it was tedious and Vice versa.

I personally do not like Blueprints, I prefer coding in C#, I understand what I'm doing better and I find it easier to follow. Whereas others find it the exact opposite and prefer blueprints due to its visual flow appeal.

One thing is for certain, if you wish to get the same visual fidelity in Unity as you would get in Unreal, then expect to put in a lot of effort.

So in the end, it comes down to preference, purpose and vision.

Wir3d

Trusted
Apprentice
LV

Apr 5, 2022
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
I've started to learn Unreal Engine for the arch viz stuff, but now I am working full time in a company making various kind of UE projects.
I was pretty sattisfied of how fast I was able to solo produce everything needed for the arch viz animations and vr/non vr applications.
YT/various other learning resources are much much more common for the UE than Unity imho.

The only thing that is making me wanting to check Unity a bit is this movie:

Scythe7

Apprentice
LV

Mar 3, 2022
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
So, I started off using Unity for ages. And I was on the Unity side of this argument for a long time. I thought the blueprint system in Unreal looked wayyy too complex. But one day I tried it out and I loved it so much. I wanted to make realistic-looking games but Unity isn't really meant for that (Unity is still really good and I love it), so when I tried using Unreal it was perfect for the game I wanted. So now I use Unreal Engine because it's better for the types of games I like to make. But if someone was just starting off with making games then they should Unity. It has an amazing community for people trying to learn game dev.

BlckHrtzz

Trusted
Apprentice
BANNED
LV

Apr 10, 2022
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
I use both, and I love them both. For anything 2D or hypercasual I would always choose Unity because Unity's 2D features are unbeatable and production will be damn fast.
But for AA and above type of games Unreal is the best option.

BlckHrtzz

Trusted
Apprentice
BANNED
LV

Apr 10, 2022
Scrip
Shards
Gemstone
Even AAA games can be built using unity, but I believe many skills and work are required. Why reinvent the while? Unreal provides so many AAA-compatible features out of the box, especially Unreal's multiplayer system is GOD LEVEL. It'll take Unity to reach there. But again Unity's 2D workflow and features are GOD LEVEL as well. And it would be not a very smart decision to make a 2D game in Unreal.
Another main factor is the learning curve, Unity's learning curve is sort of linear. Anyone can pick up Unity and start making Games (Dumb Games). At the same time, Unreal's learning curve is steep. It will require a lot of dedication if someone wants to learn Unreal.

About Us

UDevStudio started as a simple response to all the other sites not caring about their community. We endeavor to build a prosperous forum for all to enjoy. We welcome all suggestions and forums to meet your needs.

Our Mission

UDevStudio dedicates itself to providing you the best resources for your development projects. We strive to offer you the tools and space to speak your mind and discuss topics with your peers that will help you succeed in your endeavors.